We are writing with news of initiatives and Useful Links which may be of interest to you and/or your child/young person with special educational needs and/or a disability (SEND).
- We have a few places left on our free training on Education, Health and Care needs assessments and outcomes on Saturday 16th July 10am to 4pm
The course will be held at our office in Aylesbury, with refreshments and a sandwich lunch being provided.
- At any time from May 2016 onwards there will be an Ofsted and Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection of this local area’s effectiveness in identifying and meeting the needs of children and young people who have special educational needs and disabilities.
This will cover education, health and social care, so it will include Buckinghamshire County Council and local clinical commissioning groups (CCGs).
The inspectors will want your views. The inspector team of at least 3 will give 5 days’ notice of the inspection, which will be held during school term time. At this point we will contact you again to alert you to the inspection and how you can contribute your views to it. The inspection will usually last no longer than 5 days.
After the inspection, Ofsted and CQC will publish an inspection report in the form of an inspection letter. After this, in some cases, local areas will be required to publish a written statement of proposed action.
For more detailed information, please see the handbook for the inspection here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/local-area-send-inspection-guidance-for-inspectors and the framework here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/local-area-send-inspection-framework
To contribute to the gathering of your views, during the Autumn term, SEND IAS with FACT Bucks will be conducting an online survey of your views on what the SEND reforms have meant for you. If you are interested in participating, please look out for our invitation to the survey. Please respond to this email if you have any queries about the inspection or would like your contact details to be shared with the inspectors when the inspection starts.
- The Bucks Family Information Service is currently reviewing the Education pages on the Local Offer: https://www.bucksfamilyinfo.org/kb5/buckinghamshire/fsd/advice.page?id=lypVjro44uw
- Buckinghamshire County Council’s relationship with Baker Small solicitors: Zahir Mohammed, Buckinghamshire County Council Cabinet Member for Education and Skills, said that after concerns were raised the council took swift action to suspend its current arrangements with Baker Small until further notice. The council will now be reviewing its position and look to make suitable arrangements going forward.
- Letter to the Solicitors Regulation Authority about Baker Small: https://www.ipsea.org.uk/file-manager/news2016/sra-letter.pdf
- A family guide to the SEND system in England: http://www.togetherforshortlives.org.uk/assets/0001/4928/TfSL_A_Family_Guide_to_SEND__FINAL_.pdf
This interactive guide aims to help families of children and young people in England with life-limiting conditions join-up their assessments, plans and services across education, health and social care. Free to download and use, it helps families to understand their rights and make the most of the new special educational needs and disability (SEND) system, which is being implemented by government, the NHS, local councils, education providers and others.
- Building the Participation of Children and Young People: CDC have been jointly commissioned with Kids to deliver a new national participation programme with disabled children and young people, and children and young people with SEN. To find out more about this work and the different events and activities which are planned, see: http://councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/our-work/send-reforms/practice/building-participation-children-and-young-people?mc_cid=7a30f9d28d&mc_eid=af37b8ab51
- Young people’s law entitlements website published by Coram: http://www.lawstuff.org.uk/
- New safeguarding in education statutory guidance to take effect from September 2016: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/526153/Keeping_children_safe_in_education_guidance_from_5_September_2016.pdf
- Apply to be part of a focus group for the Department for Education re parents’ understanding of the SEND reforms regarding preparing for adulthood: http://www.specialneedsjungle.com/take-part-dfe-preparing-adulthood/
- The Connexions service in Buckinghamshire has been reduced – please see attached information
- Independent living survey for disabled adults: http://puttingpeoplefirst.limeask.com/index.php/171426/lang-en?platform=hootsuite
- Buckinghamshire Healthwatch survey of Health and Social Care services: http://www.healthwatchbucks.co.uk/tell-us-about-health-and-social-care-services-buckinghamshire?utm_content=buffer85d4a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
- Free events on SEND for teaching staff: https://twitter.com/kathrynstinton2/status/747519916585123840/photo/1
- Chiltern Music Therapy are offering under 18’s a chance to perform at the Chiltern Music Fest on 27th August: http://www.chilternmusictherapy.co.uk/news/under-18s-emerging-talent-competition-now-open
- Take the GOV.UK 2016 assistive technology survey | Accessibility from Scope’s Tweet
- PfA Self-evaluation tool | Preparing for Adulthood from Prep_for_Adulthood’s Tweet
- IPSEA's response to DofE Statistics - IPSEA from IPSEA’s Tweet