What is FACT Bucks?
FACT Bucks, short for Families and Carers Together in Buckinghamshire, is a group of parents and professionals who meet to discuss real issues that affect children and young people with additional needs and disabilities in Buckinghamshire.
As parents or carers, it is easy to feel your worries and concerns are not being taken seriously. FACT Bucks was set up to make sure your views and concerns are heard by those who plan and manage the services you and your child or young person relies on. It used to be known as the Parent Consultative Group (PCG) and was set up by Parent Partnership in 2000. As Parent Participation increased under the Aiming High for Disabled Children programme, parents felt that the group was more than consultative and needed a name change.
Information is provided on a number of specialised support services that are provided for children with specific learning difficulties, including hearing, visual and physical disabilities and Autism.
Parents and carers have become involved with FACT Bucks in a number of ways:
- As representatives of disability or special needs support organisations such as Carers Bucks, AFAISIC, National Autistic Society, Bucks Vision, North and South Bucks Downs Support Group
- Through having a child who attends a Special School or Unit in Buckinghamshire
- As representatives of one of the local area forums, where parents come together every half-term in a local area to discuss current issues which affect them.
- Individuals who are elected as part of the Executive Committee
All parents elected to FACT Bucks either live in Buckinghamshire and /or have a child who has additional needs or disability receiving support from services in Buckinghamshire.
Who is FACT Bucks for?
If you are a parent or carer of a child or young person with additional needs and you live in Buckinghamshire, you can come along to one of our local meetings and get involved.
Working together we can make a difference to the services our children receive. And who better to make that change than us, their parents and carers?
What does FACT Bucks offer parents?
- A chance to improve the services and support for children and young people with learning difficulties and disabilities in Buckinghamshire;
- FACT Bucks is made up of people like us, parents and carers. You will have the chance to share experiences with other parents of children with additional needs;
- A voice to help ensure children with additional needs are fully included in society and have access to the support and facilities necessary to sustain and improve their well being.
- The opportunity to meet directly with decision-makers and those providing and delivering services in Bucks
What FACT Bucks won't do:
FACT Bucks works best at tackling generic issues that affect a number of people. It is unable to tackle specific issues that parents and carers have about their own child.
It will listen to experiences and ideas but is not able to operate as an individual advisory or support service – but we can signpost you to someone that can help.